July 9-22 & July 23-August 5
Help your child discover their strengths and potential, as they explore other cultures and meet other amazing people their own age.
It would be obvious to state that most parents want what’s best for their children. That’s a given. The not-so-obvious part is the “how to” part! What do we do to ensure our children are “successful,” and how do we set them on a path to a positive and happy future?
The only way to best prepare our children is to take a multipronged approach. It’s not just enough to send them to a good school and to make sure they get good grades. Nor is it enough to sign them up for sports and extracurricular activities. We must inspire them, listen to them, and provide them with a variety of positive learning experiences in order to expand their minds and to fuel their passions.
We live in a fast-paced, hyperconnected world, where more is expected of us than ever before. To meet the demands of this changing world, we need to step back and to reinforce some very important and basic life skills. You know – the stuff you don’t get taught in school. This is not only a requirement to succeed in life; it’s a necessity if we want our children to live happy and fulfilled lives.
The more we know about ourselves, and the better tools we have to navigate through life, the more likely we are to succeed at our goals, and to find ourselves feeling happy and fulfilled.
Mark Twain told us that “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” We couldn’t agree more! That’s why the Tropical Adventures tagline has always been “Self Discovery through Exploration.” We truly believe that as we come to expand our worldview, we expand our understanding about ourselves, as well as our place in the world.
That’s where this summer camp comes in. This 2-week program has been designed to address these struggles, and to teach participants some important tools to help navigate their journey to adulthood.
Your kids can immerse themselves in the culture of Costa Rica, experience the hospitality of locals, explore a beautiful part of the world, participate in adventure tours, and make new friends for life.
Our goal is to create a safe and fun environment where participants will have a chance to be heard, will be exposed to new experiences and ideas, and where we’ll balance learning between classroom and “real world” interactive experiences.
This will be achieved by combining the following:
- Providing caring and experienced professionals to accompany the participants
- Small group atmosphere to promote bonding and provide personalized attention
- An average of 3 hours per day of interactive classroom time
- Adventure and Nature Tours
- Volunteering opportunities with orphans, elementary schools, the indigenous and retirement homes
- Beach time!
- Opportunities to interact with, and get to know, other local youth of the same age
Examples of the skills we will focus on how to:
- Create balance in life and everything they do
- Recognize the Inherent Value in themselves and everyone they meet
- Learn to really listen to what others are saying (Heartfelt Listening)
- How to communicate clearly and completely with others (The Art of Conversation)
- How to clarify we are hearing the real message (Perception Checking)
- Facilitate Personal Responsibility
- Positively Reinforce others
- Resolve Conflict
- Find Creative Solutions
- Understand their value & potential: Know who they are, who they can become, and how they can excel in life
- Know what their life calling and purpose are, and the things that create meaning and bring joy into their life
- Find their place in the World (Unfolding their Life Purpose)
- Make excellent life choices and to determine what’s in their best interest?
- Shape a strong character, where virtues can be cultivated and nourished – and tested in the “real world”
- Learn how to stay focused on what is important, and wisely deal with diversions and distractions
- Understand each life stage and the challenges, opportunities, and obstacles each brings to you
- Learn how to work as part of a team
With the ultimate goal of helping participants:
- Intensify focus
- Improve social skills
- Build self-confidence
- Boost self-esteem
- Communicate more effectively
- Resolve differences
- Maintain positive relationships
- Strengthen character
- Increase motivation
- Learn how other people in the world live
- Participate in cultural activities